Sunday, April 20, 2008

From the "Not Directly Related to Games" dept.

I made a remix of Radiohead's latest single, "Nude", off of their new album, "In Rainbows". You can vote for it using the widget at the top of the page.

I didn't even use the provided bass and drum tracks. I wanted to make as "naked" a mix as possible. I made the guitars more prominent, and I cut the song up and reordered it into something different. It doesn't even start and end like the original.

I know this isn't really related to video games, but there is a tangential link: I like audio production, I have fun doing it, whether it's for music or something else. And audio production is crucial in video games, so acquiring this skill is a good thing: it forces me to think of the audio just as much as the graphics.

Too many video games take sound for granted, and add in any music they like or wait until the end of development to rush-produce the sound. Well, it's not as bad as it once was, but you still hear a lot of bad things, such as bad voice-acting or merely mediocre, throwaway music. Even sound effects, while well-mixed (now that PCs and consoles support 5.1 audio and such) are often just taken straight out of sound effects libraries, with little to no processing added.

That's why I try to always have at least a short section on sound in each of the game designs I propose here.

3 comments:

Random said...

Yeah, this is very cool. The different structure takes some getting used to, but the removal of the drums and bass gives the whole song a much more ethereal feel. Sweet remix!

shutz said...

Thanks for your comment! Glad you liked!

Also glad to see you were able to get home safely! I nearly ruined my sneakers -- had to step in over two inches of mud in some spots, but I got lucky and found a back-entrance to the M├ętro station, and short-circuited most of the long queue waiting to get in, and I was able to get home fairly quickly!

Random said...

Lucky you. My dad and I ended up waiting in the ridiculous crowd - "packt like sardines in a crushd tin box" - for about an hour and a half before we made it home. It was crazy... Jean Drapeau needs some serious rethinking as to how people can safely exit after large-scale concerts like that.

Amazing show, though!